Copyright

You may print and use these quilt instructions to make quilts for yourself, for donation, or for sale. The instructions cannot be printed and sold.

You may link to any of the pages with the instruction sheets but you cannot copy or post the PDF files on any website.

Please do not repost or "Pin" my photos or content.

Carpenter Star

Click here to download Carpenter Star Instruction Sheet (PDF file)

Please do not ask me to resize the quilts here on my site. I don’t have time! I only offer free instructions for the quilts I make or plan to make.

If you have problems opening the above link, right click on it and save it to your computer and then open it. Email me with any questions or problems at mmcjohnson@gmail.com

Please note: These instructions were UPDATED on Feb 19, 2011 and if you downloaded them prior to that, a clear explanation for cutting the border half rectangle blocks was not included as you need both regular and reversed triangles when working with rectangles.

While I usually don’t provide fabric yardage for my scrap quilts — EQ7 estimates for this quilt are

1 and 3/8 yards of the background fabric

1 and 3/8 yards of pink

1 and 7/8 yards of brown

Both the pink and brown estimates assume that the borders are pieced.

PLEASE NOTE – these are untested estimates and are provided only as a guide. I’d suggest having extra on hand especially if using the Accuquilt GO to cut your blocks.

Carpenter Star

My finished top

By Rachel

42 comments on “Carpenter Star

1. Karina on said:

I love this quilt, I would love the pattern for a king size bed, please and thank you

2. Eileen on said:

Enjoy your quilts. Do you have a pattern for a queen and a king size.

Thank you.

3. I would also like the measurements for a king size quilt. Love this pattern.
    Thank you very much.

4. would you share the size for queen or king carpenter’s wheel, i would be very grateful. I have a large family, what a beautiful quilt to make for them

5. rose on said:

I love it too but do you have queen size

6. Connie on said:

I have found that 10″ square of two colors, and 9 1/2″ squares (for whole solid background fabric), plus 10″ squares of solid background fabric makes a very large top. To expand the size for larger sizes, use various widths of sashing. It also adds interest to the super-sized block. Look for the easiest pattern on craftsy. Only cost $8.00 for the PDF document. For smaller size, use solid charm packs. Don’t forget to reduce the solid background squares by a half inch!

7. Kay Miller on said:

I would love to make this quilt in a king size. Do you possibly have the pattern to share?

Thank you so much.

Kay

8. Ollie ables on said:

Do you have a king size pattern

9. Beautiful colors, could you send me the measurements for a queen size quilt
    Thanks so much

10. Jo Ann Moorhead on said:

Beautiful quilt and colors. Could you please send me a King Size quilt pattern for the Carpenter’s Star?
    Thanks a Bunch!

11. This is a beautiful quilt. I would love to do it in king size as well. Is a king size pattern available? Love your site, thank you so much for sharing.

12. karen baker on said:

I ran across your pattern and really like the colors you did them in. I know it is simple to do making one for a very good friend of mine. I might even switch the colors to your blues and tans I just finished making my daughter and son in law a French braid with the accents that goes in between the main accents rows. This I hope is a breeze. Thank you so much

13. judie gray on said:

please send me the carptenter quilt pattern in a king size 114 X 114 thank judie

14. Charlene Jenner on said:

I too would love to make this quilt in a king size. Is there a king sized version????? Charlene Jenner

15. Karyn Ashley-Smith on said:

Thank you SO much for the pattern. My cousins son passed away in May and I gathered some of his clothing to make her a memory quilt. I’ve been thinking and searching for months for just the right pattern. He was a carpenter…. I think this is perfect. I am going to start selecting just the right pieces for this special quilt. Thank you for providing this pattern.

16. Want to make the carpenter star quilt for our Grandson. But want it for a king size bed. would love to purchase a pattern for king (114″ X 114″.) or close If you have it, Thanks for reply Barb in Indiana

17. grace guillory on said:

beautiful

18. grace guillory on said:

THANKS FOR ALL THE PATTERNS

19. Sheila Gordon on said:

Love your Carpenter Star quilt pattern. I am very new to quilting and have had fun making this one. It’s nearly done, I am going to add a little more border to use it as a Quilt of Valor! Thanks so much for the patterns you have available and your informative website.

Sheila Gordon

20. Marguerite on said:

The carpenter star pattern is beautiful and your executions of it are perfection. Thank you for the pattern and the lovely website.

21. Anna Riker on said:

Wow beautiful!

22. Nanette Debault on said:

I have been looking every where for the Carpenter Star quilt pattern

I would like to share it with my quilting friends. Can you help me?

23. loretta williams on said:

Thnk you so much for sharing your patterns with us. I am always looking for a new pattern and always find one here. Thanks again Loretta

24. Janet Pierce on said:

I just love your site. I would love to make this quilt in a king size. Would you have the instructions or size of block for that. Sure would appreciate your help as I am beginner quilter.
    Thanks

25. Mary, just wanted to tell you how much I am enjoying working with this pattern!
    It is going together quite quickly. Can’t wait for the finished product!
    Thank you for sharing this pattern.

26. Tricia on said:

I’ve been surfing the net just for a pattern like this. You have two I will use for sure!!
    My son just passed his exam for his journeyman’s papers, and is now a lisenced carpenter. I can’t wait to get started on this. I know he’ll love it too.

27. Sheila on said:

Mary, thank you so much for sharing your patterns. I have always wanted to make a “Carpenter Star” quilt, and this one is just the right size for me.

28. Valerie S. on said:

My favourite quilt of yours, is the Carpenters’ Star.

Well done! I look forward to trying this one.

29. Joyce T on said:

What great patterns & clear instructions. Thanks for a great site

30. Rebecca on said:

OMG! A Carpenter’s Star with NO set-in seams! I have been wanting to make one of these in Xmas colors for eons but set-ins & me…? not so much. So this is an answer to my prayers! Thanks tons!

31. Mamitela on said:

hola, me encantaría que me mandaras el patrón de la estrella, a ver si soy capaz de hacerlo, un abrazo y muchas gracias

32. Marti Nel on said:

Beautiful !

33. Anita on said:

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern! I can’t wait to try it out :)

34. Connie on said:

Beautiful quilt and thanks for sharing the pattern, looks beautiful!

35. Dear Mary, I found out about your website after seeing a friend’s carpenter star quilt. She used your pattern and it is so gorgeous, I had to try it for myself! I am not an experienced quilter and had set quilting aside for about six months as my 18 year old daughter has been struggling with intense, deep depression. Praise God, she is now much better but understandably, I am completely worn out. Our family counselor said I should spend time daily doing something I love and your carpenter quilt just got added to my list of “I love this!” projects. Thanks for sharing your gifts with those of us who have little quilting experience.

36. SewCalGal on said:

Thanks Mary. I’ve been thinking about making this quilt design for sometime. You’ve inspired me to GO! cut fabrics and make it now.

SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

37. Quilterbee on said:

O-M-G!! I’m in love!!! I’ve been wanting to do a C.S for like ever…it’s simply gorgeous!! THANK YOU MISS MARY!!! Amie in Tn.

38. Thanks for the Carpenter’s Star pattern. I can see using it with a lot of different combinations.

39. This pattern has been on my “to do” list for just about forever! I always thought it would make a beautiful baby quilt and love how you can use triangles instead of funny diamond shapes to get the same effect. I will be coming back to your pattern when I am ready to make my own version. Great idea for the borders! Cheers! Evelyn

40. Mary, I love the Carpenter Star you’re making….It is gorgeous! Thank you so much for the PDF directions! Can’t say when I will make this one, but it will be sometime this year as I’ve been meaning to do something like this for quite a while. It would make a great wall-hanging.

Karen

41. janine on said:

WOW another superb pattern mary. Thankyou so much for sharing yet another pattern xx

42. Betty Downey on said:

Mary, Thank you so much for all the lovely patterns you share with all of us.