Copyright

You may print and use these quilt instructions to make quilts for yourself, for donation, or for sale. The instructions cannot be printed and sold.

You may link to any of the pages with the instruction sheets but you cannot copy or post the PDF files on any website.

Please do not repost or "Pin" my photos or content.

String Diamonds

(Go to the end of the page to see my finished top)

Blocks will be pieced on a muslin foundation and then trimmed to 6.5 x 9.5 inches.

Muslin foundation is cut 7 x 10 inches

BLACK center strings should be cut 2 inches. You may use tone on tone prints but the center string should *read* as solid when you step back and look at the blocks.

The most important thing to remember with these rectangle string blocks is that you need to make mirror image blocks. That is half the blocks need to have the center string going from bottom left to top right and the other half of the blocks need the center string going from top left to bottom right.

The easiest way to accomplish this is to start blocks in sets of two as shown below.

DSC_6774

Sew a string to either side of the center and press open.

DSC_6777

From this point, I sew a strip to both sides of the block before getting up to press and I make blocks in groups of 8-10 at a time. You can make fewer or more – whatever works best for you.

DSC_6779

When I get to the corners I use an oversized triangle or a wide strip to avoid having tiny pieces on the corners. Remember these blocks are going to be trimmed down and it’s easier on those assembling them.

DSC_6782

If I get to a corner and just have a small section of the foundation to be covered, I’ll frequently use an oversize piece as shown below and then trim the string underneath being careful not to cut the foundation.

DSC_6798

Here my foundation is completely covered with strings and I’m ready to square up the block.

DSC_6793

I always trim my blocks from the back and first I trim about 1/4 off the right side and top and then flip the block around and trim the remaining two sides leaving the block at exactly 6.5 x 9.5 inches as shown below.

DSC_6795

Here’s my finished block.

DSC_6804

And here is my quilt in progress. If you’d like to make a more color coordinated version and plan to make the entire top or quilt yourself, take a look at my rectangle strings to see how a different color scheme would look.

If you’d like to make your own top or quilt rather than sending the blocks in; here are a couple versions to get you started.

Version 1

Make 36 blocks and set them 6 x 6

Cut an inner border 2 inches

Cut an outer border 5.5  inches

Quilt will finish at 49 x 67

6 by 6 with border

Version 2

Make 80 blocks and set them 10 x 8

This version finishes at 60 x 72

DSC_8098

23 comments on “String Diamonds

1. Quilting Ranny on said:

Thanks Mary for posting these, I shared your site on my blog Layers of Hope/Quilting 911 @layersofhopequilting911.blogspot.com after one of my readers saw I had posted about your Quilt-it today piece. She let me know about your site because I was so excited to see how you and others are reaching out, I posted prior to finishing the article!

2. I am a beginner quilter. Your site has helped me many, many times and reduced the anxiety experienced with new techniques and projects. Thank you.

3. LaVonne on said:

Just found your site. Newbie to quilting. You have quite a gift.

4. I’m going to make this Quilt. I love it. photo 2 . I’ve been cutting the material to make it already. thanks for the inspiration! This is also my first quilt but my quilting aunt has back and says I can do it. I hope mine turns out half as nice as yours did.

5. Alexandra on said:

I would like to see more and know more…. I could sew up some blocks and donate back to be included in with other block. (black strip in the middle. I would only sew 4 – 6 blocks at a time.

please include me into your group.

6. What an amazing site. So many beautiful quilts. A visual feast

7. Pingback: diamond strings

8. Pingback: String Quilt Inspiration

9. Pingback: String Diamonds

10. Sandy K on said:

I finished my first heart string top. This top goes fast at you have no matching involved

11. Pingback: Are you participating?

12. Pingback: Quilt along with us this weekend

13. I’m thinking I’m in for part of the weekend at least. The stockings are finished; the cool ties are almost, so I’m in need of a quick satisfying project.

14. Pingback: Labor Day Weekend sew-in

15. Pingback: Sew-in at Roberts, WI

16. Leanne in Minnesota on said:

Love to make some of those blocks! I’ll send you some in September!

17. Pingback: HeartStrings Sew-in

18. Thanks for another clear tutorial. I’ll be making some blocks to send, and some to donate to WTIL.

19. Thank you for your easy lesson!! I love such blocks!

20. Sheree on said:

What a beautiful variation on the 9″ square. I can’t wait to get started! Another great special project, Mary!
    Sheree

21. May in Jersey on said:

Count me it for some blocks. May

22. Barb W in MN on said:

Mary, the black center string makes the rest of the strips POP! As always, your quilts are beautiful! Thanks for the new project.

23. Cindy Carter on said:

Hi Mary,

I am sorry you have to recreate your blog. What a nightmare.
    Are you going to repost the pink and brown quilt you were working on? I love that quilt and am thinking of making it.

Cindy in Seattle